In the year 1808 the Jehmlich family tradition of organ building was founded by the brothers Gotthelf Friedrich, Johann Gotthold and Carl Gottlieb in the small Saxon village Neuwernsdorf/Erzgebirge. Gotthelf Friedrich built the first Saxon Jehmlich organ in Lauenstein in 1818.
1826 Carl Gottlieb completed his first independent work in Somsdorf. 1826 Johann Gotthold moved to Dresden. In 1836 Johann Gotthold was appointed Royal Saxon Court organ builder and took over maintenance and repair of the large Silbermann Organs in Dresden and Freiberg.
Jehmlich's third generation, the brothers Emil and Bruno Jehmlich, built about 450 organs, including instruments for Great Britain, Sweden, Switzerland and Mexico.
In 1938 Otto and Rudolf Jehmlich took over the company's management. In the 34 years which followed, about 400 organs were built by the firm.
The fourth Jehmlich generation distinguished itself mainly through its commitment to the German tracker organ revival. Horst Jehmlich took over the company's management in 1973, expanding exports into various European countries and Japan.
Since 2006, Ralf Jehmlich has managed the firm. He has not only taken over the duties of planning and organisation, but also focuses on implementing technical innovations and modern methods of organ construction. The firm’s exports have expanded into Poland, Slovakia and the USA. New organs were built for the First Presbyterian Church in Kerrville, Texas/USA (III/50), the Music Academy in Lodz/Poland (II/22), St. Christopher’s Catholic Church in Westerland, Sylt/Germany (II/27) and—as a world premiere—an Organ-Carillon consisting of pipes and bells made of Meissener Porcelain was commissioned for the Lalaport Mall in Yokohama/Japan. In addition to the construction of new instruments, Jehmlich Orgelbau Dresden remains true to its tradition of caring for and restoring valuable, historic organs.
"Obliged to the Saxon organ building tradition, we use the experiences of the generations for the development of our instruments. No matter if we deal with small portable chamber organs, church or concert hall organs we do always strive for a maximum of harmony between sound, inner structure and exterior design. The selection of high quality materials and their precise manufacture guarantees a reliable function as well as live span which is supposed to last for many generations." Ralf Jehmlich